chevron background

Monday, January 6, 2014

Making 2014 Count {Embracing & Believing}

I can't believe that it's a new year already. 2013 went by so quickly that it's hard to look back and distinguish some of our best and biggest moments. We went to a MLB baseball game without leaving the state, we celebrated Hiccup's first birthday and a few days later learned that he was going to be a big brother. We took Hiccup to the zoo and took baby Hank to his first concert. Casey started two new jobs and I began a new position at the bank. I say goodbye to my tonsils and hello to baby Liam.

2013 had its rough and daunting moments, I don't know anyone who doesn't experience those, but it was a good year for our little family. We decided to expand and yet scale back. With our new babe joining our family in a  few months Casey and I made the decision to have me stay home during the day with my boys. I have worked at the bank for over five years so it was a decision that was hard to make. With my new position, working part time wasn't an option so I had to decide either to continue working or leave and stay home. I have always wanted to stay home with my babies, but it's also a huge change for me and I have to admit I'm more than a little nervous. Will I be a good mama? Will I be able to devote the necessary time and attention to both boys to make them feel loved and teach them the things they need to know? Will I be able to keep my sanity while home all day with two young boys?

Because of all my questions and self doubts I have chosen to focus this new year based on two words. EMBRACE & BELIEVE. I need to be able to embrace the challenges that will inevitably be coming our way. Going from two incomes to one is a scary thing. I need to believe that a way will be provided for us each month to pay for the things that we need and save for the things that we want. I need to believe that we are making the right decision for our family and embrace the crazy days that lie ahead of us. I want to enjoy all the funny, simple things that make each day worth while. I need to let the smiles and giggles outweigh the whining and fussiness (from both kids and adults!).

I need to embrace the strength my children and husband provide to me by them just being in my life. They are truly the reason I am here. My family is my calling and I need to glorify in the amazing work I get to experience with them. I want to be able to play and explore with my babies. I want to teach them and learn from them.

I need to (remember to) believe that there is a plan for us, that we have a Heavenly Father who is watching over us. He provides for us and wants the best for us. I need to embrace the trials and challenges that this life holds and believe that I have the strength to make it through.

All of this sounds so simple in writing but I know that this next year, despite all of its many blessings, will be a challenge for us. Days will be long and they will seem rough. Money will run out and financially we might just barely get by. Good days will pass by too quickly and my babies will grow up faster than I want them to.

But I am looking forward to meeting baby Hank and having him join our family. I can't wait to see Hiccup in his role as big brother. I am excited to spend all day with my babies. I am excited for Casey to continue to thrive in a career that he loves and grateful that he is willing to work hard to give me the chance at my dream career.

So, farewell 2013. Welcome 2014 and all the craziness you may bring. 

No comments:

Post a Comment