chevron background

Monday, April 1, 2013

Movie Monday {The Best of Baseball}

It's Opening Day for Major League Baseball. This is one of my favorite days of the year. I love baseball, I have as long as  I can remember.

Since it's rainy and gloomy out today, I don't know how much baseball will be played but here are a few movies to watch to get you geared up for the upcoming season. Go Braves!


THE SANDLOT starring Tom Guiry, Mike Vitar, & Patrick Renna

"Remember kid, there's heroes and there's legends. Heroes get remembered but legends never die, follow your heart kid, and you'll never go wrong."
"I haven't had anything yet, so how can I have some more of nothing?"
"You're killing me Smalls!"
"This pop isn't workin', Benny! I'm bakin' like a toasted cheese-it! It's so hot here!"
"Oh yeah, the Great Bambino. Of course! I thought you said the Great Bambi."
"I don't know. Some lady gave it to him. She even signed her name on it.Some lady named... Ruth. Baby Ruth."

We saw this movie at the drive in when I was little. I love it. I can quote the entire thing, although I get many requests not to.



ROOKIE OF THE YEAR starring Thomas Ian Nicholas, Gary Busey, & Albert Hall

"Did he just say "funky buttloving?""
"Hey, your mom has a pretty good arm! I ain't seen the floater pitch since Scuffy McGee!"
"Way to go, Runamucker!"
"Is that play legal?"
"I just figured out why the Cubs lose every year. They've got more talent in the stands than they do in the field."

This is such a fun movie. It's kind of obnoxious but it's for kids so what do you do?



FIELD OF DREAMS starring Kevin Costner, James Earl Jones, & Ray Liotta

"If you build it, he will come."
"What are you grinning at, you ghost?"
"No one's called me Moonlight Graham in fifty years."
"At least he is not a book-burner, you Nazi cow."
"Ray, people will come Ray. They'll come to Iowa for reasons they can't even fathom. They'll turn up your driveway not knowing for sure why they're doing it. They'll arrive at your door as innocent as children, longing for the past. Of course, we won't mind if you look around, you'll say. It's only $20 per person. They'll pass over the money without even thinking about it: for it is money they have and peace they lack. And they'll walk out to the bleachers; sit in shirtsleeves on a perfect afternoon. They'll find they have reserved seats somewhere along one of the baselines, where they sat when they were children and cheered their heroes. And they'll watch the game and it'll be as if they dipped themselves in magic waters. The memories will be so thick they'll have to brush them away from their faces. People will come Ray. The one constant through all the years, Ray, has been baseball. America has rolled by like an army of steamrollers. It has been erased like a blackboard, rebuilt and erased again. But baseball has marked the time. This field, this game: it's a part of our past, Ray. It reminds of us of all that once was good and it could be again. Oh...people will come Ray. People will most definitely come." --Sorry, that one is a long one, but I love every single word of it.

This movie always makes me cry. It describes so much of how I feel about the game of baseball. I absolutely love it. So many times I picture Heaven to exist on a baseball field in the middle of Iowa.

No comments:

Post a Comment