chevron background

Monday, April 8, 2013

Advice for Visiting Friends or Family with a New Baby



In hind sight, I really should have posted this on my front door. I would have loved those first few weeks so much more if I had thought to speak up a little.

*Bring food; preferably something that requires no work. Fresh fruit or veggies, baked goods, anything to snack on, any meal ready to go into the oven (or fresh from the oven). New mamas don't have time to cook. Most of the time they don't even have time to eat. Bring them something to nourish themselves while they nourish their new babes.

*Take a picture of Mama with her little one. She will have taken a million pictures of her babe but she hasn't been in any. Take a few and send them to her. She will love you for it.

*Call ahead before you stop by. You don't want to interrupt feeding time, a much needed shower or heaven forbid, a nap! If you call and tell her you are stopping by in an hour, stop by in an hour. I was left hanging a few times and I had tried so hard to make sure I was cleaned up (as well as my house) only to have no one show up. This felt devastating since it took up the little energy I had to get this done. So follow through people!

*Don't judge. The house will probably be messy, the baby might not look as cute as the pictures, and the new mama may have spit up or leaking milk on her shirt. Just smile and think, "This'll be me one day". ;0)

*Don't forget the other people in the house. Daddy's and older siblings need a little attention too so try and make them feel special.

No comments:

Post a Comment